Saturday, August 22, 2009

What's Farsi for "Cajones"?

Hi, Sarah! This is pretty much verbatim what I told you at dinner tonight but on the off chance my mom is reading this like I asked her to, I will repeat myself.

Shirin Ebadi is a recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize for her humanitarian work in the Iranian judicial system and this is her story. Truth is always stranger than fiction and while I knew on some scholarly level the upheaval Iran has gone through in the past 40 or so years, I really had no idea the magnitude of the human cost. In about two hundred short little pages, Ebadi managed to bring that home to me. The whole time I was reading this, I kept thinking of a good friend of mine from junior high and high school whose mother was Iranian. I never bothered to ask her about her upbringing or what brought her from Tehran to Cincinnati, Ohio because I was self involved in the way that only a teenager can be. She's of the same generation as Ebadi and I wish now I could call her up and hear her story. After all, it's not just winners of the Nobel Peace Prize who are brave and make sacrifices to do what they think is right. Stories like this make it harder to complain about the piddly mundane issues of everyday life and make it easier to be strong when encountering them. And for that, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment