Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Imperial Head Trip

I read Imperial Bedrooms on my Kindle because I liked the idea that I could want something and then have it, immediately, for 9.99. This is a feeling I've addressed here before, the Kindle as one of the few venues in this world that allows for instant gratification. It turned out to be fitting. The characters in BEE's universe exist in a place where impulse is king, the satisfaction of even the most ephemeral whims their sole driving force. Like all Ellis's books, it went down quick and easy, left me feeling vaguely dirty, not least because it's set in a Los Angeles that does not feel altogether fictional. Because I spend a great deal of time in the locations his characters frequent, around people like the ones he writes about, the horror of the story felt more plausible than I perhaps would have liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment