Saturday, December 12, 2009

Aeroman Lives

How does someone write a book like Fortress of Solitude? Do you just put pen to paper and people spill out or do you know these people in your head somehow? In 509 pages, Lethem has created several indelible portraits of people I feel like I know. I can't believe it took me so long to read this book, but I'm so glad I read it now, because reading it in New York gives me an extra appreciation for Lethem's insane attention to detail. And reading it at this point in my life gives me an extra appreciation for Lethem's understanding of the constant see-saw of power in those friendships we carry from childhood onward. Even for those of us whose differences aren't quite as massive as Dylan and Mingus', there's a recognition. I finished this book this morning, but I don't know that I'll ever really be finished with it? This one sticks with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment