Friday, December 25, 2009

The time to make up your mind about people is never.

Reading Zadie Smith's book of essays, Changing My Mind, is an inevitable way to feel like an idiot. That's not a complaint. It's like talking to the smartest person at a cocktail party, making mental note after mental note of books to read and movies to watch, all the while nodding as though you've already read and seen them, and being sure to get her phone number so once you've caught up, you can hang out and hope to be as cool and smart as she is. Therefore, it is unsurprising that you recommended me this book, Sarah. However, I could not disagree with Zadie Smith more when it comes to Shopgirl. I love that movie and am not ashamed of my sexual attraction to Steve Martin, so I therefore can understand Claire Danes'. Especially when her last date was with Jason Schwartzman who suggests a baggie when nobody has a condom. But anybody who shares my love of Katharine Hepburn and especially The Philadelphia Story does have soooome taste in movies, I must admit. Overall, I couldn't appreciate every essay of Smith's, but I look forward to pulling it off my bookshelf as a reference once I've read more of the books she discusses.

No comments:

Post a Comment