Friday, April 2, 2010

on a roll!

This is awesome. I don't usually post about the mediocre books, the ones I end up skimming as I people watch on the subway. Sometimes I finish them, sometimes I don't, but I don't usually bother posting about them because...why? Hey guess what, Sarah, I read another sort of ok book. Next time you're at Barnes and Noble, pick it up, read the back, get bored halfway through the synopsis, put it down and go browse US Weekly instead (am I the only one who has started reading this rag again because of Sandra Bullock? oh god I am.). But FOUR AWESOME BOOKS IN A ROW. AWESOME. And with the knowledge that grad school is a-comin' (!!!), my To Read Pile now has a due date, so I can focus on reading books about accounting for the theater and labor relations (seriously, I will soon know these things!). Therefore, I am happy that as I'm plugging along, the books are this good. Clearly, I have good taste.

Oh right, Never Let Me Go. This book reminds me of Caryl Churchill's A Number, another work that ponders that moral implications of cloning by introducing clones to us as soulful human beings. Except I really liked this book and I just appreciated A Number because Churchill...doesn't really do it for me (please don't make me return my Pretentious Theater Snot membership card). The constantly growing realization of everything this book is about makes it impossible to put down, even after you put it down. When I started reading it on the subway the other day, the man sitting next to me freaked out. "Oh my God, I just finished that book! And...wow. What do you think? Cause like, it's so...Orwellian, right? Or maybe not. But....wow." To which I responded, "I am one chapter in but um, it's cool. I think." But now I understand his stammering.

Side note, this is being made into a movie with Carey Mulligan, Keira Knightley and Andrew Garfield (Shannon's boyfriend, Sarah) and I actually have hope it will be awesome because this casting seems so ridiculously on the money.

1 comment:

  1. Caryl Churchill doesn't do it for me, either! I almost got slapped on last Friday by a coworker because I said my favorite woman playwright is Wendy Wasserstein. What? Some chicks suck. Including Caryl Churchill.

    ReplyDelete