Thursday, April 22, 2010

Well alright


I'm thinking this blog should be called "Jen still reads books" or "We still read books, only Jen reads real ones and Sarah reads shitty manuscripts for work that will never be published so she won't subject you to reviews about them because probably they would just be endless tirades, and nobody likes to read those. She gets it. You have your own problems to deal with." But that would overstretch blogspot's word limit, and we can't have that, now can we? All I can say is: omg, grad school starting in 5 months. Really hope I still have a working, literate brain at that point. Anyway, one of the bright spots of working at a commercial book-to-film agency, along with access to the fed-ex account, is that every once in a while I discover that we represent an author I actually like. For example, this guy Patrick DeWitt. He wrote a book called Ablutions about the slow disintegration of an alcoholic bartender working on the Sunset Strip. It is brutal and ugly and beautiful and very real. I saw the author speak at the LA Times Festival of Books last year and you can see the truth of every word of the book in the lines in his face. Guy writes like Bukowski if Bukowski were less of a narcissist, more of a poet. Made me feel ok about living in Los Angeles, like beautiful art can come from here. I hope that's true, though I doubt it a lot of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment