Sunday, October 4, 2009

Betrayal

Halfway through this book about a weeklong global quest to get rid of a huge sum of money quickly and honor the memory of a recently deceased friend, the companion of our narrator interrupts the story to inform us it is all a lie. He is writing from New Zealand to tell us the only true thing about the 300 pages read thus far is that the narrator did die in Colombia after the completion of this book and they did go to Senegal and Morocco and Estonia. And then I'm supposed to read the next hundred pages and suddenly, I don't care because it's not true. Even though it was never true. It's a work of fiction. But I feel betrayed by this fictional dude I've just spent all these hours with. What the crap, man? Why'd you lie to me, your new best friend? What'd I ever do to you but be interested in you and your crazy shenanigans?

And that's when I realized I need more real friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment