Wednesday, September 30, 2009

oh what a world we live in

I bought this book because there was a great Vonnegut quote replacing the descriptive paragraph that is usually found on the inside of the book jacket and that intrigued me. It ended up being about a future version of our current world where bees are thought to be extinct until five people are all stung within a few days of each other. From there, it's a vision of a world not too far from ours, where people take drugs to mimic the effects of reading a novel (a comforting grey solitude mined from brains of people reading James Joyce) and shut out the world around them. The phrase "eat your brains" came up more than once. I'd like to say I'm entirely disturbed by the prospects of our crazy technological future, but I'm writing this from an airplane with wireless internet, so maybe I should put my money where my mouth is.

No comments:

Post a Comment