Wednesday, May 26, 2010

hare krishna

Fun fact for the three of you reading this blog who don't me: I'm impulsive. Shocking, I know. Impulsive people tend to be found dancing on bars in the wee hours of the night or, I don't know, hitchhiking places (which I have actually done once but it was with my professor in Turkey and I was panicked the whole time). I don't have the trademarks of an impulsive person and yet, when it comes to big life decisions, I go with my gut. Sometimes this works out and sometimes this does not. My latest impulsive move? Summer plans to volunteer at an orphanage in India. Because, I don't know, the more yoga I do, the more I want to go to India. Because I like working with kids. Because I like good karma. Because I want to be the kind of person who can go volunteer at an orphanage in India (it sounds way better at dinner parties than "um, I dunno, just working and stuff until school starts"). So now that it's official, now that money has exchanged hands, flights have been booked and the game is on, I'm reading up on my summer home. And I'm getting panicky. In Holy Cow, an Australian journalist finds enlightenment when she is forced to move to Delhi to be closer to her husband. She test drives literally every religion and learns a great deal about herself. And on that hand, I'm excited about my upcoming trip. But then there's the other hand, the swelteringly hot polluted hand. That hand has me nervous. But I can't blame MacDonald for not having an enlightenment spiritual or compelling enough to calm my nerves. Even the Dali Lama wouldn't be able to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment